A delicious vegan dessert pudding made with agar, a common Asian gelling agent. This agar is flavoured with coconut milk and palm sugar, and is best served chilled.
- 7 gr unflavored agar-agar powder (equivalent of 1 packet Swallow Globe Brand)
- 250 gr palm sugar
- 5 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- 1 drop vanilla essence
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 800 ml water
- In a cooking pan, put 200 ml water, palm sugar, sugar, salt and pandan leaves. Boil over medium heat until all the ingredients are dissolved. Sieve and set aside.
- Put the remaining water in a cooking pan, add the agar-agar powder, mix well, then put in the vanilla essence and the sugar water from Step (1).
- Add the coconut milk, stir, then cook over low medium heat until it bubbles. Stir constantly for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the agar-agar mix into a pudding mold.
- Let the pudding cool and then chill it in the refrigerator, to set it, before serving.
- I personally use Swallow Globe Brand agar-agar, which is commonly available in Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia. This recipe calls for 1 packet of Swallow Globe Brand unflavoured agar-agar, equivalent to 7 grams.
Keywords: Vegan, Non-spicy, Quick and easy