Ayam kalio is a delicious dish of chicken in thick, spiced coconut gravy. It’s very similar to rendang, except that it has more gravy and takes less time to cook.
- 1 chicken, cut in pieces, washed thoroughly
- 4 big red chillies, chopped
- 5 bird’s eye chillies (optional)
- 8 shallots, peeled, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 3 cm ginger, peeled, chopped
- 3 cm turmeric, peeled, chopped
- 2 cm galangal, chopped
- 1 tsp whole coriander
- 1 lemongrass, bruised, knotted
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 turmeric leaf (optional)
- 1 tsp tamarind extract
- Salt to taste
- 750 ml coconut milk
- Blend into a fine paste: big red chillies, bird’s eye chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric, galangal and coriander.
- Put the spice paste in a big wok.
- Add the coconut milk, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, turmeric leaf, salt and tamarind juice.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat. Gently stir the mixture constantly to avoid the coconut milk breaking up.
- When the mixture boils, add the chicken pieces.
- Continue cooking and stirring, reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook until the chicken is done and the sauce thickens, around 45 minutes.
- Transfer the dish into a serving plate.
- If kampong chicken (free range chicken) is available, it will make for a better option.
Keywords: Spicy, tamarind, turmeric, galangal