This recipe is for a spicy-sweet sauteed chicken dish, with reduced gravy. Here, chicken cubes are cooked in sauteed spices and herbs, chillies, and sweet soy sauce.
- 200g chicken, cubed
- 2 tsp chopped spring onions
- 2 large green chillies, sliced
- 2 bird’s eye chillies, sliced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 inch ginger, peeled & chopped
- 1 inch galangal, peeled & sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised & sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 100 ml water
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Wash the chicken cubes and soak in water, salt and lime juice for 15 min. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan or wok, over medium heat. Add the sliced shallots. Sauté until soft and fragrant, about 3 min.
- Add the chopped ginger, garlic and spring onions. Sauté until fragrant, about 2 min.
- Add the white pepper, lemongrass, galangal, green chillies and bird’s eye chillies. Sauté for another 2 min.
- Add the sweet soy sauce, bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken. Lower the heat and continue to cook until the chicken is fully cooked through, and the gravy is reduced, about 10 min. Stir continuously.
- Increase the heat and stir until the sauce has thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Turn off the heat and serve.
- The number of chillies used in this dish is moderate; if you like really spicy food, feel free to add more, and if you don’t, you can reduce or eliminate the bird’s eye chillies altogether.
Keywords: Kecap Manis, Spicy