Beras kencur is an Indonesian herbal drink consisting of rice, kencur, and ginger, and is commonly used to soothe throat irritations, increase stamina, and boost overall health.
- 150 gr white rice, wash thoroughly and soak overnight.
- 200 gr fresh kencur, peeled and chopped.
- 50 gr fresh ginger, peeled and chopped.
- 500 gr palm sugar
- 100 gr granulated sugar
- 50 gr fresh tamarind, dissolved in 2 tbsp of water
- Pinch of salt
- 3 lt water
- In a large pot, put the palm sugar, granulated sugar, tamarind and water, and boil it until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn off the heat and leave it until it cools off completely.
- Blend the fresh kencur, ginger, and rice with 2 cups of the cool sugar water using a blender, until fine.
- Put the blended paste in the remaining sugar water, mix well, then strain the drink.
- Keep the beras kencur in a storage bottle, and enjoy it with or without ice.
- It’s really important to leave the sugar water to completely cool before mixing it with blended kencur and rice. Otherwise the rice will coagulate and become porridge.
- Store beras kencur in a clean, dry glass bottle to prevent bacteria. It will stay fresh for around 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Fresh kencur is a must ingredient and can not be substituted with dry or powdered one.
Keywords: jamu recipe