This delicious dessert porridge, made of coconut milk and mung beans, is an addictive yet healthy sweet snack full of nutritional goodness.
- 250 mung beans
- 150 gr palm sugar
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- 4 cm ginger, peeled, sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 lt water
- 2 tsp rice flour (optional)
- 150 ml coconut milk
- Wash the mung beans thoroughly and then soak for 1 hour.
- Boil the palm sugar with 200 ml water (out of the 1 litre) until it’s completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Put the mung beans in a cooking pot, add the remaining water, pandan leaves and ginger.
- Cook the mung bean over medium high heat. When the soup boils, lower the heat to medium low.
- Sieve the palm sugar syrup and add it to the soup.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Cook for about 1 hour or until the mung bean is tender. Add more hot water if necessary.
- Dilute the rice flour with 2 tbsp of water, and then slowly add it to the porridge. Stir gently.
- Add the coconut milk, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. The mung bean porridge is ready to serve.
Keywords: Non-spicy, Vegan, Common ingredients, ginger