Bumbu dasar merah, or basic red spice paste, is a blend of spices that can be pre-made in batches, kept, and then used in a variety of dishes such as nasi goreng and rendang.
- 200 gr curly/big red chillies, chopped
- 150 gr shallots, peeled, chopped
- 50 gr garlic, peeled, chopped
- 2 big red tomatoes
- 1 tbsp roasted shrimp paste (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 150 ml cooking oil
- Blend into a fine paste: chillies, shallots, garlic and tomatoes.
- Put the blended spices in a wok, add the salt, sugar, shrimp paste and cooking oil.
- Bring the mixture to boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the liquids are evaporated, and the mixture is well cooked (around 45 minutes).
- Cool the mixture completely and then transfer to a clean jar with an airtight lid.
- Store the jar in a refrigerator.
- To make it spicier, a few bird’s eye chillies can be added.
Keywords: Spicy, Common ingredients