When I saw the recipe for Balinese shredded chicken or be siap mesitsit, I was very eager to try it but just didn’t have the time. That got me thinking: Is there a way to make a simple, quick, stir-fried shredded chicken? Especially if I’m willing to compromise on nutritional value and authenticity?
It turns out, yes there is! This dish isn’t exactly healthy, nor authentically Indonesian, and would horrify my grandmother. Nevertheless, thanks to some of the modern world’s embarrassingly important contributions, you can get a decent stir-fried shredded chicken dish. These ingredients are: readymade chilli garlic paste, readymade concentrated chicken stock (Maggi in this case), and bottled kecap manis or sweet soy sauce. The dish turns out quite delicious – tangy, slightly spicy and slightly sweet.
If you feel like cutting down on these instant, msg-filled products, you can replace the readymade chilli garlic paste by making your own. Just blend/pound 2 big red chillies with 1 clove of garlic. Similarly, you can make your own chicken stock.
This recipe has a real danger of being too sweet. To reduce the sweetness, make sure you use sugarless chilli garlic paste.Print
Easy Stir-fried Shredded Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Poultry
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Indonesian
- Diet: Halal
A simple recipe for stir-fried shredded chicken, inspired by the Balinese dish be siap mesitsit. This recipe uses readymade chilli garlic sauce and concentrated chicken stock for a quick and easy meal.
- 200g chicken breast
- 3 inches garlic, peeled and sliced
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for stir-frying
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 tbsp chilli garlic sauce or paste
- 1 tsp Indonesian sweet soy sauce (or Chinese dark soy sauce)
- 1 tsp concentrated chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Boil the chicken breast over very low heat for about 30 min (or until the chicken is done), along with the garlic, the pinch of peppers, and some salt.
- Remove the chicken breast and shred.
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a frying pan or a wok, over medium heat. Add the shallots. Sauté the shallots until they soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped spring onions, sauté for another minute.
- Add the shredded chicken, chilli garlic sauce, sweet soy sauce, and concentrated chicken stock. Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped spring onions and serve.
- You can replace the Indonesian sweet soy sauce with Chinese dark soy sauce.
Keywords: Quick & Easy, Common ingredients, soy sauce, spicy