Gulai nangka, or young jackfruit gulai, is a vegan curry that is a signature dish in Padang cuisine. Here, young jackfruit is stewed in coconut milk and spices, with long beans and cabbage providing extra fibre.
- 300 gr young jackfruit, cut into bite-sized pieces, washed thoroughly
- 100 gr long beans, cut into 6 cm pieces
- 100 gr cabbage, cut into small pieces
- 4 big red chillies, chopped
- 7 shallots, peeled, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
- 4 cm fresh turmeric, peeled, chopped
- 1 tsp whole coriander
- 0.5 tsp white pepper powder
- 4 cm fresh galangal, peeled, sliced
- 1 lemongrass, bruised, knotted
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 0.5 tsp tamarind
- 1.5 ltr water
- 400 ml coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Using a blender or food processor, blend: the chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric and coriander.
- In a cooking pot, put the cut young jackfruit, blended spices, white pepper powder, galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and salt.
- Knead the tamarind with 2 tbsp of water to extract the juice, then add to the pot.
- Add the water and coconut milk, stir gently to mix all the ingredients.
- Cook over medium flame until it boils, stir frequently.
- When it boils, reduce the heat to medium low and cook further for 1.5 hr or until the jackfruit is tender. Add hot water if necessary.
- Add the long beans and cabbage, and cook for another 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
After a long day, a super satisfying meal would be steamed rice, gulai nangka, rendang and sambal ijo.
Keywords: Coconut, Vegan, One-pot meal, Healthy