Karang binaci embi is a dish from the island of Madura, consisting of goat ribs simmered in spices until the sauce thickens and the ribs are well-coated with a rich, flavourful sauce.
- 1 kg goat/mutton ribs, chopped into serving pieces
- 4 red chillies, chopped
- 2 bird’s eye chillies (optional)
- 8 shallots, peeled, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 2 cm ginger, peeled, chopped
- 1 tsp white peppercorn
- 2 tsp vinegar/tamarind extract
- 3–4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 lt water
- Clean and wash the ribs thoroughly, set aside.
- Using a food processor, blend into a fine paste: chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger and vinegar.
- Marinate the meat with the spice paste for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat, then fry the meat until it changes color (around 4 minutes).
- Add water, vinegar/tamarind extract, sweet soy sauce and salt.
- When it boils, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 1 hour until the meat is tender, the liquid has evaporated and the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Transfer the dish to a serving plate.
- Adjust the amount of sweet soy sauce according to your preference.
Keywords: Spicy, soy sauce, pepper, mutton