Klepon, a popular snack, are little green balls made of glutinous rice flour, filled with palm sugar and coated in grated coconut. A delicious sweet treat, known as ondeh-ondeh in Singapore and Malaysia.
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 200 gr glutinous rice flour
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 160 ml hot water
- 3 drops green food colouring
- 50 gr palm sugar, finely shaved
- Water for boiling
- 2 pandan leaves
- Mix the grated coconut with ¼ tsp salt, and then steam for about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Using a spoon, mix well: the glutinous flour, tapioca flour and ¼ tsp salt, in a bowl.
- Add the green food colouring to the hot water, mix well.
- Add the hot water (which should now be green) to the flour mixture little by little while mixing it with a tablespoon. Make sure not to add too much water to avoid watery dough.
- Knead the dough using your hand until the dough is smooth and there are no more sticky bits of flour.
- Take a little bit of the dough and roll it to form a small ball, then press into it using your thumb. Add the palm sugar and then close it tightly. Roll it again into a smooth ball. You’re done with one ball – now set it aside.
- Roll several such more balls until you’ve used up all the dough and the palm sugar.
- Fill a cooking pan with water and add the pandan leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Add all the balls and cook until they float (around 8 minutes).
- When they float, continue cooking for around 3 minutes so that the sugar melts.
- Drain the balls until there’s no more water dripping.
- Roll the balls in the grated coconut to coat them.
- Transfer the balls to a serving plate.
- Finely shave the palm sugar so it won’t break the dough when it’s boiled and the sugar will nicely melt.
- Make sure to close the dough securely to avoid breaking it up.
- Steaming grated coconut is optional, and allows you to keep the klepon without the coconut getting rancid. However, if the klepon is going to be consumed immediately, fresh coconut tastes much better.
Keywords: Ondeh-Ondeh, Gula Melaka, Gula Jawa, sweet