Kopi jahe rempah is a dairy-free hot black coffee flavoured with ginger and spices, and is a common drink throughout Indonesia. This recipe is a quick shortcut using instant coffee.
- 1 litre water
- 4 tsp instant coffee
- 4 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 4 inches fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- Sugar to taste
- Dry roast the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon in a pan for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the fresh ginger. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Turn off the stove
- Add the instant coffee and stir.
- If you’re interested in making un-spiced ginger coffee, the ginger should be pounded, grated or blended instead of sliced. This will impart a stronger ginger flavour to the coffee.
Keywords: Ginger, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Common ingredients, Vegan, Quick & Easy