Orak arik jamur tiram is basically scrambled eggs with oyster mushrooms. I invented this recipe when one day, I opened my fridge and found nothing but some fresh oyster mushrooms and eggs. The first thing I thought of was to sauté the mushroom and fry the eggs. But then I had a better idea, inspired by the famous classic orak arik recipe. Thus, I made some oyster mushroom orak arik. The first attempt was deliciously successful and I have been remaking it for many times since. It works especially when I have little time to cook my meal, since this dish is very quick to prepare.
Recently, out of curiosity, I googled ‘mushroom orak arik’, and found some similar recipes, but with different twists. Some recipes have more ingredients and spices, such as shallots, chilli, extra seasoning, etc. I seasoned my original orak arik jamur tiram with just minced garlic, salt, pepper and mushroom stock powder to enhance the flavor. The recipe is very simple, clean and tasty.
The key to making a good orak arik jamur is fresh mushrooms. Choose oyster mushrooms with a clean white color and no patches. The mushrooms should be firm and have a pleasant smell. Avoid slimy mushrooms, as they are no longer fresh.
Prepare the mushrooms by rinsing them carefully under running water and then patting dry with a paper towel. Or, gently squeeze them to remove the excess water — this is to avoid cooking them with too much liquid. This will prevent the mushrooms from becoming soggy. Discard the stem and shred the mushroom by tearing it using your hands.
Cooking the Eggs
I prefer to mix all the seasoning with the eggs, so the flavour will be distributed evenly. I adjust the cooking time depending on what I plan to have it with. If I have it with rice, I will cook it a bit longer, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the eggs are drier and chunkier. If I have it with toasted bread for breakfast, I will reduce the cooking time to achieve a slightly wet, soft and creamy scrambled egg. To make the dish more powerful, include chillies — especially when eating it with rice.Print
This is a very simple and quick recipe of scrambled eggs with oyster mushrooms. It’s ideal if you don’t have much time, and can be enjoyed with steamed rice or toast.
- 350 gr oyster mushroom, shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, finely minced
- 3 eggs
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of white pepper powder
- 0.5 tsp mushroom stock powder
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs, salt, white pepper powder and mushroom stock powder. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat, then sauté the garlic briefly for about 1 minute or until the garlic turns light golden.
- Add the shredded mushrooms and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg mixture, and scramble it for about 3-5 minutes, depending on your preference.
- Transfer the dish to a plate and serve immediately.
- Do not overheat the oil when frying the garlic, as it can burn easily.
Keywords: Ovo-vegetarian, quick and easy, common ingredients, non-spicy