What if there’s nothing in the fridge but carrots, cabbage, and egg? That’s easy! Make orak arik! This dish needs only five ingredients (excluding pepper, salt, cooking oil and water), and is very quick and easy to make. It’s tasty and nutritious, too! My mom loved making it when she was busy, but still wanted to show us her love through a delicious home-cooked meal.
Orak arik refers to sauteed shredded vegetables scrambled with egg. There are a few types of orak arik, depending on the vegetables used. This recipe uses cabbage and carrots, but you can experiment with any leftover vegetables you wish to use. The eggs are scrambled at the end of the cooking process.
Orak arik can be served with rice or enjoyed as it is. To make it a complete meal, have it with other dishes such as ayam goreng and perkedel, with a sambal of your choice to spice things up. We recommend the hot favourite, sambal tomat.Print
What if there’s nothing in the fridge but carrots, cabbage, and egg? That’s easy! Make orak arik!
- 200 gr cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 3 shallots, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 0.5 tsp white pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 egg
- Half cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a mortar and pestle or blender, pound/blend the shallots and garlic into a fine paste.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium high heat.
- Sauté the paste until fragrant, around 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, fry for one minute.
- Add the cabbage, fry for about 1 minute.
- Add water, stir well.
- Add salt, and then the pepper powder.
- Stir and mix the veggies thoroughly for about 5 minutes.
- Crack the egg on top of the veggies and quickly stir thoroughly, and continue cooking for another 3 minutes until the egg is done.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the dish onto a serving plate.
Keywords: Healthy, Quick & Easy, Common Ingredients, Non-spicy