Pepes tahu jamur is a combination of tofu and mushrooms wrapped in a banana leaf, steamed, and then lightly grilled. A healthy, delectable dish that’s delicate in both taste and texture.
- 5 shallots, peeled, chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped.
- 3 candlenuts, chopped.
- 2 big red chillies, chopped.
- 1 lemongrass, use only the white part, slice diagonally (around 2 cm).
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, each torn in half.
- 1 red tomato, diced.
- 5 bird’s eye chillies, optional.
- 200 gr oyster mushroom, wash, squeeze the excess water, shred.
- A handful of kemangi (Indonesian basil), use only the leaves (optional)
- 1 spring onion, chopped.
- 300 gr firm tofu, mashed
- 2 small eggs.
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp white pepper powder.
- 0.5 tsp granulated mushroom stock (optional)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil.
- Banana leaves for wrapping.
- Toothpicks to secure the wrapping.
- Blend into a fine paste: shallots, garlic, candlenuts and big red chillies.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok over medium high heat, then fry the blended spices until fragrant.
- Add lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves, and continue frying for about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and bird’s eye chillies.
Add salt, pepper and mushroom stock.
Add the shredded mushrooms. Cook for another 1 minute.
Turn off the heat after mixing thoroughly.
Add kemangi leaves and spring onion.
Add mashed tofu, mix.
Add the eggs and mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
Prepare the banana leaves.
Scoop 2 or 3 tbsps of the mixed ingredients onto 1 piece of banana leaf.
Roll and secure both ends of the banana leaf using toothpicks.
Do the same thing for the rest of the mixture.
When all is done, steam the parcels for about 30 minutes.
Just before serving, grill the pepes over a non-stick grilling pan.
Pepes tahu jamur is now ready!
- Banana leaves are easier to handle when they are not too fresh. They can be exposed under the sun or to fire for a while, to make them less stiff and brittle.
- Silken tofu is not suitable for making pepes as it has a soft and slippery texture, making it very difficult to handle.
Keywords: Healthy, Spicy, Kemangi, eggs