Sambal embe is a sharp and spicy Balinese sambal consisting of onions, garlic, shrimp paste, and of course, chillies. It’s relatively quick to prepare, very spicy, and absolutely delicious.
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 10 bird’s eye chillies
- 0.5 tsp shrimp paste
- Salt to taste
- 0.5 cup oil for frying
- Thinly slice the shallots, garlic and chillies.
- Fry the shallots over medium heat until half done (around 7 minutes).
- Add the garlic, and fry for another 7 minutes until both the shallots and the garlic turn golden. Set aside.
- Using the same oil, fry the chillies for about 1 minute, then add the shrimp paste. Fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and turn off the heat.
- Add the fried shallots and garlic.
- Mixed all the ingredients together.
- Sambal embe is ready to serve.
- Be extra careful when frying the shallots and garlic as they can burn easily.
- The amount of chillies can always be adjusted according to your preference.
Keywords: Spicy, common ingredients, quick and easy, garlic, chilli