Sate telur puyuh is a Javanese snack or side dish consisting of quail eggs braised in spices, and then threaded on a satay stick.
- 25 hard boiled quail eggs, peeled
- 6 shallots, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 salam leaf
- 2 thin slices galangal
- 2 tbsp shaved palm sugar
- 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1 tbsp tamarind extract
- Salt to taste
- 500 ml water
- 5 bamboo skewers
- Blend into a fine paste: shallots, garlic and coriander seeds.
- In a small cooking pot, put the eggs, blended spices, salam leaf, galangal, palm sugar, sweet sauce, tamarind extract, salt and water.
- Bring all the ingredients to boil over medium high heat, then reduce the flame to medium.
- Continue cooking until all the liquid has almost evaporated, and the eggs are nicely glazed and brown.
- Cool off the eggs and thread with bamboo skewers.
- Serve and enjoy!
- The palm sugar and sweet soy sauce create a nice brown color to the dish, but if you don’t like sweet dishes, feel free to adjust the amount according to your preference.