Sayur sop is a simple vegetable soup that is very popular in Indonesian home cooking. It’s healthy, vegan, light, and nutritious. Add some noodles or pasta to make it a one-pot meal.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 3 shallots, peeled, chopped
- 1 tsp white peppercorn
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 100 gr white cabbage, remove the stalk, cut into bite size
- 50 gr french beans (optional)
- 1 stalk spring onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced or knotted
- Salt to taste
- 0.5 tsp mushroom stock powder
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1.5 lt water
- Blend or pound the garlic, shallots and white peppercorn into a fine paste.
- Boil the water over high heat.
- In another pan, heat the cooking oil over a medium flame, and saute the garlic paste until fragrant (around 2 minutes).
- Add the sauteed garlic paste into the boiling water, cook for around 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the salt and the mushroom stock.
- Add the carrot, potato and french beans. Continue to cook for around 10 minutes.
- Add the white cabbage, spring onion and celery. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave the soup to rest for a while before serving.
- Adding some pasta such as macaroni will make it into a one pot meal.
- Do not cook the vegetables too long to retain the crunch and nutritional value.
Keywords: Vegetarian clear soup, simple vegetarian dishes, asian soups