This simple green bean soup is light, easy to make, and nutritious. It is something I often had growing up, and is suitable for children because it isn’t spicy at all. At home, this dish was cooked with minced lamb. I’ve replaced it here with concentrated chicken stock because it makes life easier.
There are many variations to this dish, and in Indonesia, it is often cooked with other vegetables or with meat such as cubed or sliced chicken, meatballs, and so on. The recipe here is for a super simple version, stripped down to its bare essentials. It contains green beans, tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, and chicken stock. Like most other Indonesian soups, this is clear and doesn’t require any cream, unlike Western versions.
This soup is a good option if you don’t have a lot of time or access to ingredients. It is comforting on a cold, rainy day: I like to make it when I crave comfort food. I usually have it with steamed rice, a dry meat dish (fried chicken, for example), or, if I’m tired, just a fried egg. If you want a condiment, sop buncis goes well with sambal terasi or dark soy sauce.Print
This clear green bean soup is a simple, comforting dish that uses common ingredients and can be whipped up quickly. It’s light and refreshing, with a hint of tanginess from the boiled tomatoes.
- 200 gr green beans, chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 small tomato, quartered
- 1 tsp concentrated chicken stock
- 300 ml water
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- Pinch of white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a cooking pot over low heat. Add the sliced onions, saute until they soften, around 3 mins.
- Add the ginger and garlic. Continue sauteeing for another 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat, until the green beans soften, around 15 mins.
- Turn off the heat and serve.
- I like my green beans soft, so I tend to boil them longer. If you prefer your beans crunchy, omit the green beans from Step (4) of the cooking process. Let all the other ingredients boil and come together for 10-15 min, then add the green beans later.
Keywords: Common Ingredients, Quick & Easy, Non-spicy