Soto ayam Madura is a famous Indonesian-style chicken soup from the island of Madura. This hearty soup is liberally garnished with vermicelli, vegetables, and hard-boiled eggs.
- Main soup ingredients: 1 medium chicken (around 1 kg), cut into 4 parts.
- 1 lt water
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 3 cm ginger, peeled, chopped
- 3 cm turmeric, peeled, chopped
- 4 candlenuts, chopped
- 0.5 tsp white pepper powder
- 2 stalks lemongrass, use only the white parts, bruised and knotted
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- 1 medium potato, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- For garnish: 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled, halved or quartered
- 100 gr bean sprout, blanched for a few seconds in boiling water
- 50 gr vermicelli noodles, cook following packet directions
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 small celery, sliced
- Sweet soy sauce, to taste
- 1 lime, quartered
- Sambal soto
- Perkedel kentang
- Potato chips
- Put the sliced potato in a bowl and cover with enough water to prevent oxidation. Set aside.
- Clean the chicken thoroughly, set aside.
- Using a food processor, blend into a fine paste: garlic, ginger, turmeric and candlenuts. Set aside.
- In a cooking pot, boil the water over high heat. When it’s boiling, lower the heat to medium and add the chicken.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a frying pan and sauté the blended spices for about 4 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the sautéed spices to the pot with the chicken.
- Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, salt and white pepper powder.
- Cover the pot and simmer the soup over low to medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- When it’s done, take out the chicken.
- Before serving, fry the chicken and shred.
- For the potato chips, fry the potato slices until golden and crispy (around 3-4 minutes).
- Take a bowl, add some vermicelli, bean sprouts, shredded chicken, potato crisps. Sprinkle some celery and spring onion on top.
- Add half a hard-boiled egg (and perkedel kentang if available) and then pour the broth and serve. The condiments (sambal, lime and sweet soy sauce) are presented on the table.
- For a healthier option, I did not deep fry the chicken. It makes it less authentic, but no less delicious.
Keywords: Non-Spicy, Healthy, vermicelli