This quick, easy and delicious recipe calls for tofu to be deep fried and then cooked with oyster sauce and soy sauce. It is easily made vegan and a joy to cook.
- 1 block of firm tofu, 100g
- 50g mustard leaves, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, peeled and sliced
- 2 bird’s eye chillies, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sweet or dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- a dash of white pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut the tofu into 1 inch by 1 inch squares. Fry till golden, about 5 min. Set aside.
- Mix the oyster sauce and soy sauce with the 3 tbsp water. Set aside.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and chillies. Saute till fragrant, about 2 min.
- Add the mix of oyster sauce, soy sauce and water.
- Add a dash of pepper and salt. Remember to half the amount of salt you’d normally use, because the sauces contain salt.
- Stir until the sauce thickens, about 1-2 min.
- Add the tofu and mustard leaves. Stir fry for 3 min. Turn off the stove and serve.
- For a healthier version, feel free to skip the pre-frying and use the tofu as is – that is, if you don’t mind scrambled tofu.
- Feel free to use regular oyster sauce instead of the vegetarian version, of course!
Keywords: Quick & easy, common ingredients, garlic