Telur balado is a quick and easy recipe to try, of hard-boiled eggs sauteed in sambal balado, a spicy tomato chilli sauce. A delicious, meat-free dish that adds an extra dimension to the regular egg.
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 3 bird’s eye chillies
- 5 red chillies
- 3 stalks of kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 5 small shallots, finely sliced
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 0.5 teaspoon sugar
- Deep fry the hard boiled eggs until they turn golden brown.
- Using a food processor or blender, blend all the chillies to make a coarse chilli paste. Set aside.
- Then, blend the tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat the 5 tablespoons of oil and sauté the shallots until fragrant.
- Add the chilli paste. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Then add the tomato paste, kaffir lime leaves, salt and sugar. Add a quarter cup of water if necessary. Adjust the seasoning.
- Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Toss in the eggs and mix well.
- Serve with steamed rice.
- For a healthier version of this dish, skip Step (1) above.
Keywords: Eggs, Tomato, Common Ingredients, Spicy