This is an experimental dish combining the refreshing Balinese sambal matah, with a Chinese dish known as tofu skin salad. Here, sambal matah and Sichuan pepper oil are mixed with sliced tofu skin.
- 200g tofu skin, thinly sliced
- 2 bird’s eye chillies, chopped
- 5 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, use the tender white part, finely chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Sichuan pepper oil
- Boil the tofu skin for 3-5 min. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except the tofu skin, vegetable oil, and Sichuan pepper oil. Continue mixing until the shallots start to sweat and the ingredients are well-combined, about 5-10 min.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan or a wok until it starts to smoke, then add the Sichuan pepper oil. Turn off the flame after a few seconds.
- Pour the hot oil over the shallot mix, and mix well.
- Add the tofu skin, and mix well. Serve.
- You can always make your own Sichuan oil with Sichuan peppercorns, or buy a bottle of Sichuan chilli that comes with the peppers.
Keywords: Spicy, experimental, one-pot meal, vegan, quick and easy