Trancam is a typical dish from Central Java and is a variant of urap. It uses the same dressing, sambal urap, but unlike urap, which uses steamed vegetables, all the vegetables in trancam are raw. Cucumber and kemangi (Indonesian basil) are added too, for extra freshness.
This trancam recipe can be enjoyed as a side dish or on its own, as a complete meal. It is best eaten immediately after being prepared. For extra protein, the dish can be paired with ayam goreng or tempe bacem.Print
A raw vegetable salad with sambal urap. This dish is from Central Java and makes for a quick and easy meal, especially if you’ve already pre-made the sambal.
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced (around 1 cm)
- 3 stalks long beans, cut into 0.5 cm pieces
- 1 small cup bean sprouts
- Half cup kemangi leaves (Indonesian basil)
- Half cup sambal urap
- Mix all ingredients in a salad bowl.
- Serve immediately.
- If long beans are hard to find, you can substitute them with young and tender French beans.
- Indonesian basil can be substituted with basil. The aroma will be different, but it will still be fresh and delicious.
- Always choose fresh, young and tender vegetables for the best salad.
- Feel free to reduce or increase the quantity of the sambal urap based on your preference.
Keywords: Coconut, Cucumber, Beans, Non-spicy, Healthy