Tumis bawang merah is an addictive dish that’s currently trending on social media, consisting of sauteed shallots with chillies and Chinese silver fish, or whitebait.
- 200 gr shallots, peeled, thickly sliced
- 100 gr bird’s eye chillies, remove the stem, slice diagonally
- 0.5 tsp roasted shrimp paste
- 50 gr salted dried Chinese silver fish (whitebait)
- Cooking oil for deep frying and sauteing
- Wash, pat dry and deep fry the dried salted fish over medium heat until golden (around 4 minutes). Set aside.
- Remove some of the oil from the wok, leaving around 2 tbsp oil.
- Over medium heat, fry the roasted shrimp paste for a few seconds, then add the sliced shallots. Fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the sliced chillies, and continue frying for another 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the fried salted fish and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the dish onto a serving plate.
For this recipe, the shallots can be either thickly sliced or left whole. If left whole, the shallots will be juicier and slightly sweet.
Keywords: whitebait, fried shallots