Tumis tempe kacang panjang is a wholesome meal made of tempeh and long beans (also known as ‘snake beans’). It’s vegan, delicious, easy to make and pocket-friendly. In Indonesia, the dish is the home cook’s end-of-the-month favourite, especially before payday.
Tempeh is quite versatile and can be paired with all kinds of vegetables. If long beans are not available, you can substitute them with french beans, big green chillies (beware of the heat!), beansprouts, or other vegetables of your choice. Let your imagination run wild and try using different vegetables to widen your options.
The dish is lightly spiced (with a strong hint of galangal and daun salam, or Indonesian bay leaf). It is savoury and slightly sweet from the kecap manis, or sweet soy sauce. If you are not a fan of sweet dishes, reduce the amount of sweet soy sauce or omit it entirely. Either way, it’s delicious.
Tumis tempe kacang panjang is satisfying by itself. Most Indonesians enjoy it with a plate (or more) of steamed rice.Print
This is a simple, delicious dish of tempeh stir-fried with long beans, also known as snake beans. An affordable, vegan one pot meal with all the nutrients you need.
- 200 gr tempeh, cut into small cubes
- 200 gr long beans (snake beans), washed thoroughly and cut into 3 cm pieces
- 6 shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 cm fresh galangal, bruised
- 1 daun salam (Indonesian bay leaf)
- ¼ tsp white pepper powder
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 0.5 tsp sugar (optional)
- 150 ml water
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok over medium high heat, then fry the shallots, garlic, galangal and daun salam until fragrant (around 4 minutes).
- Add tempeh cubes and long beans, stir.
- Add water.
- Add white pepper, salt, sweet soy sauce and sugar, stir well.
- Cook over medium heat for about 12-15 minutes, until the long beans are tender and liquids have evaporated.
- Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy.
- In case galangal and daun salam are not available, they can be omitted. The flavour will be slightly lighter.
- For chilli lovers, additional chillies are always welcome while making this dish!
Keywords: Vegan, Quick and Easy, One-pot meal