Urap is a traditional Javanese steamed vegetable salad, which is often used in ritual offerings. In Javanese culture it symbolizes the physical and spiritual aspects of life. Eaten with sambal urap, or grated coconut dressing.
- 1 small carrot, peeled, julienned
- 50 gr bean sprout
- 50 gr spinach, cut into bite-size pieces
- 50 gr long beans, cut into bite-size pieces, around 4 cm each
- 0.5 cup (or around 50 gr) sambal urap
- Blanch all the vegetables separately, starting from the lightest-coloured to the darkest-coloured vegetables.
- Mix all the blanched vegetables with the sambal urap.
- Transfer to a serving plate, and serve immediately. It can be enjoyed with or without rice.
- Put a little salt when blanching the vegetables and when done, rinse immediately with cold or ice water so the vegetables will retain their bright colour.
- Feel free to substitute with other vegetables, as long as they’re good for blanching
Keywords: Quick & Easy, One pot meal, Salad, Coconut