Wedang sereh, or lemongrass tea, is a classic Javanese drink made of boiled lemongrass. It’s a simple recipe and very healthy, to be enjoyed cold or hot.
- 3 stalks lemongrass, use only the white parts
- 1 lt water
- 30 gr rock sugar, or sugar to taste (optional)
- Wash the lemongrass thoroughly, cut into 4-5 cm slices, and bruise.
- Put the lemongrass, rock sugar and water in a cooking pot, and boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the mixture boils, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the liquid to remove the lemongrass pieces.
- Serve the drink hot or cold.
- When buying fresh lemongrass, look for firm, smooth and heavy stalks. Heavy stalks indicate the lemongrass is still fresh and retain the moisture. Light ones indicate the lemongrass is drying out.
Keywords: Quick and Easy, healthy