This sweet and savoury fried chicken dish comes from the Kalasan district of Central Java, and is a simple recipe requiring very few ingredients. The chicken is flavoured with coconut water and palm sugar, which is often used in desserts.
- 1 whole chicken, portioned into 8 pieces
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs coriander seeds
- ½ cup coconut water or plain water
- 100 gr palm sugar
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a food processor or blender, blend the garlic, coriander seeds and palm sugar until it forms a smooth paste.
- Transfer the chicken into a cooking pan and rub thoroughly with salt and the blended paste.
- Add the ½ cup of coconut water or plain water, covering the chicken.
- Cook with a small flame until all the liquid is absorbed or has evaporated. Remove the chicken.
- Using a separate frying pan, deep fry the chicken until it turns golden.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with hot steamed rice, a raw vegetable salad, and sambal.
- For the best results, let the chicken rest after Step (4). You can also keep it in the refrigerator overnight and deep fry it later. That way the spices will be absorbed perfectly and the chicken will taste extra delicious.
Keywords: Fried Chicken, Coconut