This recipe is for a simple, stripped-down version of sayur asem — a spicy tamarind soup with vegetables. The sayur asem here is the red West Javanese version.
- 1.5 litre water
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 big red chillies, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- ½ tbsp tamarind paste, diluted in water
- 2 inch galangal
- 1 large potato, quartered
- 200g long beans, sliced
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- Blend the onion, chillies, garlic, and galangal.
- In a large pot, bring the water to boil.
- Add the blended paste and the diluted tamarind paste.
- Add the potato slices, long beans, and salt.
- Cook until the potatoes soften, about 20 minutes.
- Add the pinch of sugar, stir, and adjust seasoning.
- Turn off the flame. The sayur asem is ready!
- If you prefer crunchy long beans, just shorten the cooking time.
Keywords: One-pot meal, spicy