Oseng-oseng sawi putih is a simple dish of stir-fried napa cabbage, carrot strips and chillies. This quick vegan dish is typical of Javanese home cooking, with galangal and salam leaves making it extra-fragrant.
- 500 gr napa cabbage, wash, cut into bite sizes (around 3 cm long)
- 2 carrots, peeled, washed, julienned
- 5 shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, remove the stalk, slice
- 2 bird’s eye chillies, sliced (optional)
- 1 slice galangal
- 1 salam leaf
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok over medium high heat, then sautee the shallots, garlic, red/bird’s eye chillies, galangal and salam leaf for about 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add salt, mix well.
- Add the cabbage, and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the dish into a serving plate, garnish with fried shallots (optional).
- It’s best to use a medium-sized cabbage. It should feel heavy with a dense head, firm stems, light green/yellow leaves, and without any blemishes or black dots.
- To cut the cabbage: pluck enough leaves from the stem, clean and wash thoroughly, stack the leaves and chop across the veins into bite-sized pieces.
Keywords: vegetarian, javanese food, healthy