Plencing solo is a Javanese salad of blanched kangkung, or water spinach, served with a tamarind and shrimp paste sambal. It doesn’t require any oil, and is healthy and refreshing.
- 500 gr kangkung (1 bunch)
- 3 bird’s eye chillies
- 1 big red chilli
- 5 shallots, peeled
- 0.5 tsp roasted shrimp paste
- Salt to taste
- 50 gr palm sugar, shaved
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- Water for blanching
- Blanch the kangkung in boiling water for about 2 minutes, set aside.
- Broil the shallots until done (around 3 minutes).
- Using mortar and pestle, pound into a fine paste: chillies, shallots, shrimp paste and salt.
- Add the shaved palm sugar, then add the tamarind. Blend everything into a fine, liquidy paste.
- Add the sambal dressing to the blanched kangkung, toss until everything mixes together.
- Serve the dish immediately.
- Kangkung can be replaced with sweet potato leaves. Sweet potato leaves are softer than kangkung and the dish will become brambang asem instead.
- Plencing Solo is not to be confused with plecing kangkung, a dish from Lombok.
Keywords: Quick and easy, healthy, spicy, tamarind