Spaghetti sardines is a quick and easy meal made of spaghetti and canned sardines. The sardines are sautéed in spices for a Javanese touch, and then tossed with the spaghetti.
- 250 spaghetti
- 1 can of sardines in tomato sauce (around 425 gr)
- 3 cloves garlic peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 small shallots (or a small red onion), peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, sliced in wedges
- 1/4 tsp white ground pepper
- 2 big red chillies, sliced
- 1 bird’s eyes chilli, sliced (optional)
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the sliced garlic and shallots for 2 minutes.
- Add the chillies and tomatoes. Cook for another 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Put in the canned sardines, add white pepper and salt. Gently stir to mix all the ingredients, being careful not to break the fish.
- Continue to simmer until the sauce thickens, around 10 minutes.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the packaging instructions.
- Toss the spaghetti with the sardines, and garnish with fresh tomatoes for extra freshness.
- Serve immediately.
- A drizzle of freshly squeezed lemon juice is also a great addition to the dish.
- As long as canned sardines and spaghetti are present, missing one or two ingredients is OK. This is an experimental dish. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
Keywords: Quick and Easy, Experimental, Spicy