Timus is a hearty, filling sweet snack from Yogyakarta, Indonesia. This vegan treat is an old-school dish made of steamed sweet potatoes that are then mashed and fried.
- 500 gr sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp (around 40 gr) tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 drop vanilla extract (optional)
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- Steam the sweet potatoes until done (around 20 minutes), cool, peel and finely mash in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add tapioca flour.
- Knead until smooth, with no more sticky bits of flour.
- Take some of the dough, roll to form a ball, then slowly shape the ball into an oval.
- Do the same with the rest of the dough.
- In a small frying pan, heat the cooking oil over medium heat and fry the oval dough until it turns golden brown (around 4 minutes each side).
- Serve immediately.
- Some people love to add vanilla essence, so I also added it in the recipe (optional), but for my personal taste, I love the natural flavour of the sweet potato, so I often omit it.
- Adjust the amount of sugar according to your preference.
Keywords: Common ingredients, tapioca