Wedang asem is a healthy herbal drink made with tamarind, palm sugar, and granulated sugar. It’s sweet, sour and refreshing, and helps with weight-loss and blood pressure.
- 200 gr tamarind pulp
- 200 gr granulated sugar
- 100 gr palm sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 lt water
- In a cooking pot, knead the tamarind pulp with a little bit of water to form a smooth tamarind paste.
- When done, add the granulated sugar, palm sugar, pinch of salt and water.
- Heat the ingredients over medium high heat, and once it boils, lower the heat to medium low. Boil for another 15 more minutes.
- Cool and strain the tamarind drink.
- Serve hot or cold.
- This recipe yields a somewhat thick and intense sweet and sour flavour, great for the cold version one as additional ice cubes will kind of dilute it.
- If preferred, the amount of tamarind and sugar can be slightly reduced, or alternatively, for the warm version, a small amount of hot water can be added.
Keywords: Healthy, Quick & Easy, Sour, Sweet