Perkedel or bergedel in Indonesian, or begedil in Malay, is a fried potato patty made of mashed fried potatoes, meat and spices. This dish is a culinary heritage from the Dutch colonial era, and the name perkedel comes from the Dutch frikandel. Unlike frikandel, which uses minced meat as its main ingredient, perkedel‘s main ingredient is potato, although sometimes corned beef is added to make it more special.
Perkedel is served as a side dish for rice meals, but it can be eaten as a snack as well. Enjoy the fried perkedel with fresh chilli or ketchup.Print
Perkedel (begedil in Malay), is a deep fried potato patty that is an Indonesian adaptation of the Dutch frikandel. A hugely popular dish, eaten with rice as a side, or as an afternoon snack.
- 500 gr potatoes, peeled, washed, and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 0.5 tsp white pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Deep fry the potatoes until golden-brown. Set aside.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic to a fine paste. Add salt.
- In a mixing bowl, put the fried mashed potatoes, garlic paste, white pepper powder, spring onion and 1 egg. Knead gently until all the ingredients are well combined, then add the flour. Mix well.
- Using your hands, scoop the dough and then roll it to make a small, smooth ball (about the size of an apricot) and then flatten it a little to make a roundish patty.
- Do the same thing for the remaining dough until it is finished.
- Beat the remaining 1 egg in a small bowl.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Dip each patty to the egg mix, then fry it until golden.
- A little bit of corned beef is sometimes added to make the perkedel more flavorful.
- You can also add other fresh herbs such as parsley. Make sure to finely chop the herbs before mixing it with the dough and do not put too much of it.
- After the potato patty is ready (step 3), you can keep it in the fridge for 30 mins before deep frying it. It will harden the patty, making it easier to fry.
- For a healthier version, instead of deep frying the potatoes, you can steam then before mashing.
Keywords: Ovo-vegetarian, not spicy, common ingredients